Metal One Hit Wonders!

The off-topic forum for discussions of anything not game-specific.
seffyroff

Metal One Hit Wonders!

Post by seffyroff » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:48 pm

Find a Metal band who did one great thing then vanished.

I'll start with Exhibit A: Groop Dogdrill. Did an amazing single called 'Lovely Skin'. I picked up the album 'Half Nelson' on the strength of this. Dreadful album.

The video for 'Lovely Skin' was awesome also, and featured female mud-wrestling.

*EDIT* I found the video here. Requires registration. Don't bother if you have no interest in strippers mud wrestling..

Spotify link for those who just want to hear the song. If you haven't got Spotify yet, get it, it's the future.

Note, this IS up for scrutiny, so feel free to chip in with "OMG WTF are you talking about they did loads of other good stuff"
STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT TRYING TO HUSTLE ANYONE OUT OF GUILD LEADERSHIP
Image "In this life you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
For years I was smart, I recommend pleasant.
Being smart can make you rich and bring respect and reverence,
But the rewards of being pleasant are far more incandescent."
--Elwood P. Dowd
Forum admins please fix the bbcode for tables so my sig works again :D

nerodine

Re: Metal One Hit Wonders!

Post by nerodine » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:12 pm

Everclear and their great song, Local God. Only released on the Oz version of their third album So Much For the Afterglow and picked up by Baz Luhrmann for the excellent Romeo & Juliet film (mmm, Claire Danes) and couldn't springboard them further. Hell, it wasn't even released as a single, and possibly it was more on the punk end than the metal end ... plus they covered a Van Morrison tune to try and relaunch their career. Sneaky Seffy edit: Spotify Link

Wolfmother and Woman. Bought the album and despite my best attempts to like it, Woman really is the only single in there worth a damn. The follow-up album this year Cosmic Egg should be placed in a black plastic bag with two bricks and chucked in the Thames. Shun it like a ginger stepchild.

Exies and Hey You. Again, great song but the ironic album title of Head For the Door said it all no matter how hard I tried to like it. Sorry lads.

Almost tempted to have Lostprophets in there with Fake Sound of Progress (which was far better than the distinctly average Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja) before they got afflicted with the emotwattery of wearing gloves without fingertips. That's self destruction at its finest/worst really, so surely it must count for something.

Jet's Are You Gonna Be My Girl. Even that tool Lily Allen mocked them for being a one-hit wonder. Oh the shame, it burns so deeply.
Nerodine

g3

Post by g3 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:44 pm

Impossibly difficult thread given most bands managed to cobble at least two good songs together unless it's emo.

If we are talking one cd wonders off the top of my head I would nominate the post hardcore 'supergroup' Handsome and their one and only self titled CD as one (give me time I'll find others but I have 1000 cd's so it takes a while). Absolutely brilliant, dark and melodic with that buzzsaw like hardcore high pitch guitar sound and great vocals by Jeremy Chatelain. It's regarded as a true classic and personally one I am so happy I managed to discover at the time (1998).

"At its center, Handsome was directed by former Helmet guitarist Peter Mengede. Ex-Quicksand guitarist Tom Capone also had a significant impact on Handsome's tight yet exotic hardcore grind. Joining Mengede and Capone on the band's one and only release -- 1997's eponymous debut on Epic -- are drummer Pete Hines (Cro-Mags, Murphy's Law), bassist Eddie Nappi, and Salt Lake City area vocalist Jeremy Chatelain."

Check out Dim the Lights and Left of Heaven below

http://www.myspace.com/handsometheband
THE 3RD BEST TANK IN THE GUILD AND THAT'S A FACT.

JOIN THE SUNFALL AFFILIATED DSAS STEAM GROUP AND GAME WITH TRIED AND TESTED. ALL SUNFALLERS INVITED http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DerekSmalls/

I live for f&cking smilies :D :) :( :o 8O :? 8) :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :| :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :wink: :wink: :roll: :mrgreen: =P~ :^o [-X [-o<

g3

Post by g3 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:04 pm

'Same Direction' by Hoobastank. This video just blew me away and it's a really good song - so much so I bought the cd on ebay just for it. Never played the rest of the cd since I don't give a rat's ass but I wanted this song for the library.

JOIN THE SUNFALL AFFILIATED DSAS STEAM GROUP AND GAME WITH TRIED AND TESTED. ALL SUNFALLERS INVITED http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DerekSmalls/

I live for f&cking smilies :D :) :( :o 8O :? 8) :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :| :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :wink: :wink: :roll: :mrgreen: =P~ :^o [-X [-o<

g3

Post by g3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:18 am

Here's another one CD wonder from the mighty gus Metal Collection.

The band Floodgate and their legendary CD 'Penalty' cira. 1996.

"Following the breakup of early-'90s groove-thrashers Exhorder, frontman Kyle Thomas (vocals/guitar) formed Floodgate with guitarist Steven Fisher, bassist Kevin Thomas, and drummer Neil Montgomery. Their sole CD for Roadrunner Records, entitled Penalty, was released in 1996. The band never officially split, but has been silent ever since"

Check out this awesome groove sludge fest song "Through my days into the night". What a riff!

Also check out Myspace for the sludge riffage beasts "Those days" with great vox to boot and "Before the line divides".

http://www.myspace.com/floodgatepenalty

g3

Post by g3 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:19 pm

Another one hit wonder Metal underground classic. Amazing solo with Eastern influences. Imagine it's 1989...

Like numerous bands signed by California's Shrapnel label, Las Vegas-based Apocrypha were short on songs but long on showy guitar playing. Formed by singer Steve Plocica, guitarist Tony Fredianelli, bassist Al Rumley, and drummer Mike Poe, Apocrypha released three shred-intensive heavy metal albums: 1987's The Forgotten Scroll, 1988's The Eyes of Time (having added rhythm guitarist Chip Chrovian), and 1990's Area 54 (with a new rhythm section of bassist Breck Smith and drummer Dave Schiller). All of these were reliably heavy, if rather mediocre in terms of songwriting, and were distinguished by Plocica's operatic screams (often reminiscent of Queensrÿche's Geoff Tate) and, of course, Fredianelli's positively blinding fretwork.

Needless to say, Apocrypha's career died along with the age of guitar heroes, but Fredianelli continues to perform in many capacities and a variety of styles. Following his 1993 debut as a solo artist (named Breakneck Speed, naturally), he worked as a session player on Run-D.M.C.'s Crown Royal LP, and, most recently, became a member of alternative rockers Third Eye Blind. ~ Eduardo Rivadavia, All Music Guide

EDIT: Listen out for that classic '80s reverb snapping sound snare and the great rhythm guitar sound very meaty and the guitar solo distorted sound.

g3

Post by g3 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:40 pm

'Transcendence' cd by the band Crimson Glory. Frankly an amazing CD and still plays as fresh today as it did back in '88. For a change from the gus Metal archives here is a ballard (we all love them really). This song 'Burning bridges' is quite frankly f%cking stunning - PLAY LOUD to get wrapped in by the glorious production. It's an amazing piece of work clearly classically arranged starting off with accoustic guitar building over 6 minutes into the crescendo. The stand out is the singer 'Midnight' who just does an amazing performance. Words fail me really and an amazing talent and one tragically lost earlier in ther year. Add to that blazing dual guitar harmonies and the lead guitarist shredder Jon Drenning and it's basically as good as metal ballards ever get... or ever will.

'Transcendance' should be in every metalheads collection period - it's just f%cking awesome metal hertitage so go buy on ebay for 50p. Though if you are unstable or of unsound mind the title track is not for the suicidal it may tip you over the edge....

tanae

Post by tanae » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:13 pm

My fav ever metal one hit wonder is by Darcy Clay-'Jesus I was evil' ..............it might not be proper hard core metal but it is metally...................well new zealand metally at the very least.

And anyone who comes up with the line 'I used to crash parties and maserati's is all good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKX8ntjWeas

Vawei

Post by Vawei » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:19 am

Clearly the finest (hair) metal 1 hit wonder of all time:

Europe: The final countdown!
Insert sig here

g3

Post by g3 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:07 pm

Streuth had to brush the dust off this beauty. Another '80s classic. Feel the groove.

Meliah Rage are an American heavy metal band from Boston, formed in 1987 by guitarist/songwriter Anthony Nichols. Characterized primarily by a thrash metal vibe married to more classical metal melodies, the band has released seven albums. Its current lineup features Mike Munro on vocals, Anthony Nichols on guitar, Jim Koury on guitar, Darren Lourie on bass, and Stu Dowie on drums. They are also notable for at one time featuring Godsmack front man Sully Erna on drums, who appeared on the Unfinished Business LP.

g3

Post by g3 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Continuing my Quest to bring you Metal you cannot afford to miss in your lifetime I present..... Blind Guardian.

Absolutely brilliant German power metal band. They just write brilliant power metal tunes spearheaded by in my humble opinion one of the best metal singers out there Hansi Kursch. Old school metal heads will recall Helloween and the Keeper cds. Then you know what I am talking about. Rip roaring power metal songs and excellent production and arrangement, strings, group vocals/chants/melodic screams (I like a good screamer) the works you name it... it's there. Personally I would check this out just for the singer. Outstanding vox.

The following tracks are from the 2006 "A Twist in the Mythe" CD. I would also strongly advise you buy the previous "A night at the opera" cd as well. If Euro power metal is your bag do not let this band pass you by. And even better they will be releasing a new CD later this year.

g3

Post by g3 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:23 pm

g3 wrote:Another one hit wonder Metal underground classic. Amazing solo with Eastern influences. Imagine it's 1989...

Like numerous bands signed by California's Shrapnel label, Las Vegas-based Apocrypha were short on songs but long on showy guitar playing. Formed by singer Steve Plocica, guitarist Tony Fredianelli, bassist Al Rumley, and drummer Mike Poe, Apocrypha released three shred-intensive heavy metal albums: 1987's The Forgotten Scroll, 1988's The Eyes of Time (having added rhythm guitarist Chip Chrovian), and 1990's Area 54 (with a new rhythm section of bassist Breck Smith and drummer Dave Schiller). All of these were reliably heavy, if rather mediocre in terms of songwriting, and were distinguished by Plocica's operatic screams (often reminiscent of Queensrÿche's Geoff Tate) and, of course, Fredianelli's positively blinding fretwork.

Needless to say, Apocrypha's career died along with the age of guitar heroes, but Fredianelli continues to perform in many capacities and a variety of styles. Following his 1993 debut as a solo artist (named Breakneck Speed, naturally), he worked as a session player on Run-D.M.C.'s Crown Royal LP, and, most recently, became a member of alternative rockers Third Eye Blind. ~ Eduardo Rivadavia, All Music Guide

EDIT: Listen out for that classic '80s reverb snapping sound snare and the great rhythm guitar sound very meaty and the guitar solo distorted sound.
Check out Bruce Dickinson's Friday Night Rock show this week for this song played by Bruce. The iplayer keeps it for a week and I get a shout out after challenging Bruce if he could get hold of it. Be quick it will only be up for a week.

Jump to 1:43:30 to hear Bruce take up my challenge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/b0072kzb/console

g3

Post by g3 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Arh yeh folks it's back... it's late at night, you're cruising through the city in ya ride, the bright lights the big city the tall skyscrapers pass you by in a neon splash and you reach down and put your old Badlands cassette into the player....

HQ version https://www.humyo.com/3391237/Badlands/ ... 0thy6LRS9k

4 musicians. 1 guitairst the Guitar lord Jake E Lee, the bassist, the drummer and the amazing singer Ray Gillen (in my top 3 belters of all time). No overdubs no pro tools just 4 sounds playing at the same time. Music the way it should be.

If you do not own this CD this I suggest you seriously pull your finger out. High Wire is the greatest hard rock song ever written and Jake E Lee is undisputed one of the hard rock guitar greats and dam those solos...... Love love High Wire!

HQ version https://www.humyo.com/3391237/Badlands/ ... SRDoIbMG9Y

Buy this CD it's a classic.

g3

Post by g3 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:24 pm

It's probably worth emphasisng when you listen to 'High Wire' play it loud and just wait for the last "High Wire" yell. It's simply amazing the way Ray Gillen (far right in the picture above) holds those notes for an inhuman amount of time and then Jake E Lee's guitar slams in for an awesome solo finish. A great loss and a sad day when he succumbed to the dreaded Aids disease. But his music lives on.

g3

Post by g3 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:34 pm

Here's one to push the sonic barriers out further without further ado may I present to you 'Becoming The Archetype'.

I'm a huge fan of the last 2 CDs. They write perfect death metal period. It's not all about blast beats. It's the accoustic piano or classical guitar moments that make the a song with melodic solos shrouded in sheer brutality and aggresion.

Title track of recent CD

Fan made video of another track off the latest CD 'Self Existent'.

Do not let this band pass you by if death metal is your bag. And dam that piano is sort of demonic... just listening to the closing of 'Self Existent' "... I saw him A RISE" is awesome. Plus emphasises the point that this is a amazingly a christian death metal band. Every song they write praise christianity from a death metal perspective. Of course being a satanist this does not bother me because to be blunt this is some the best death metal you will hear at the moment period.