New laptop

The off-topic forum for discussions of anything not game-specific.
Macksie
Warcraft: Mackadin, Macksie, Maxxi, Machsie, Mcshaminator, Maxmius, McStabbie, Droode, Meggan

New laptop

Post by Macksie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 am

Hello!

It has been far too long since I have looked at hardware and so I would appreciate some input from anyone who still keeps in touch with such things. I am looking to buy a cheap laptop (<£400) mainly for use around the house for the wife but also for me if I stay away with work to play WoW on as the work laptop is just too old and struggles on low res with all low settings at ~15fps.

I am competent and I am happy with getting an SSD and swapping that out for a massive boost to performance, also happy for RAM upgrade as its rare to find a cheap laptop with >4GB RAM.

From my very quick and basic checks to run WoW at a semi decent fps (not including raids) I also realise that there isnt any chance of getting a dedicated GPU for that money but that the newer CPU's have fairly decent built in GPU and if going AMD then I need a minimum of an A4 or A6 (I think A8 are too expensive) and if Intel then at least the 4th, preferably 5th generation.

The last item I saw was that quite a few laptops seem to come in 15" screen size which I feel would be too large.

Any suggestions welcome :)

Huso
Warcraft: Huso, Zails, Aizelle, Guinan, Abishai, Tatooine, Cystico, Lhaviyani, Pleiades, Shifra, Nyounas
BattleTag: Huso1983#2955

Re: New laptop

Post by Huso » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:37 am

Been a while since I looked into laptop but when I did it seemed the only way to go was dedicated GPU for gaming with any good fps, but as you've said intel CPU's now can handle some decent graphics, sorry I do not know enough to offer decent advise now but seems like you know what your looking for really, you might wanna check out:

Briefly looked up on Scan.co.uk which I use for a lot of my stuff and found this laptop along with many others:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus ... -windows-8
Under your budget, 8gb ram, good GPU and AMD A8 (i do not really know much about AMD processors), but no SSD and 15" screen (i do not think you'll get much smaller than 15" for a laptop to game on).
Scan also have a few good referb's one atm if you do not mind that.

Check out eBuyer too, they seem to have some decent ones.
http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Laptops

Macksie
Warcraft: Mackadin, Macksie, Maxxi, Machsie, Mcshaminator, Maxmius, McStabbie, Droode, Meggan

Re: New laptop

Post by Macksie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks for that, the Asus does look quite good actually, I think I just need to get out the old tape measure and verify the size I think. The only thing I guess I would play whilst away would be WoW and reviews seem to say anything AMD A4 upwards can 'just' do it so the A8 should be fine. I dont need mega detail and screen res is limited anyway.

I'll keep looking and then just got to convince the wife!