From the morning

The off-topic forum for discussions of anything not game-specific.
celeron
Warcraft: Celeron 90 "aka The Weeping Willow" or "Kentucky Fried pew pew Laser Chicken"

From the morning

Post by celeron » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:59 am

I don't know many of you have ever heard of this bloke. This song came up on random shuffle of my ipod last night when I was driving home late at night. One of those moments when I could turn it all the way up to 11 and enjoy it. I enjoyed it so much I ended up playing it 8 times back to back all the way home, enjoying it more and more each time.

A very tragic story behind this fella. Killed himself aged 26 after suffering from depression. Only released 3 albums. This song was the last song he ever recorded. I am still not sure what it is about. There is no footage of him as an adult. Only photos. A lot of darkness around and inside him, but a total genius and awesome talent. Would have loved to have seen one of the few (described as v uncomfortable) gigs he ever did, as he shunned away from people, and barely spoke a word to anyone.

Anyway, I digress. I hope for some of you, you feel you have to play it again a few times and sit quietly and listen.
"once upon a time I had a beautiful girl
once upon a girl I had a beautiful time"

Memphis Slim

Hachiman
Warcraft: Not all casual people are bad, but all bad people like to think they are casual.

Re: From the morning

Post by Hachiman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Great song.

Some others vaguely similar (alive for now) artists you might like:

I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams so why you sharing all this information with me

celeron
Warcraft: Celeron 90 "aka The Weeping Willow" or "Kentucky Fried pew pew Laser Chicken"

Post by celeron » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:33 pm

I cannot decide about tallest man on earth. I had not heard from him until today when I followed a link from something else, so nice coincidence that you mention him. People bill him as the Nick Drake of today. Is there a "if you only get one album, get this one" of the tallest man on earth that you know of?

Also amazed that you posted a serious post for once. Are you ok?

Memphis Slim

nerodine

Post by nerodine » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Drake's quite wonderful. My favourite track would be this beautiful piece ...

Nerodine

celeron

Post by celeron » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:06 am

Ahh river man. Yes that comes a v close second to me too

Memphis Slim

g3

Post by g3 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Rename: Folk One HIt Wonders ... and away we go.

Here's Elliot Smith "Christian Brothers". Literally no material on Youtube. This song is brilliant so bear with it, it's a live version. Once again a short end. He accidently stabbed himself in his chest with a kitchen knife while trying to kill his girlfriend.

And here is actually the cover that turned me onto Smith. This is OSI (a collaboration between Kevin Moore ex Dream Theater and Jim Matheos Fates Warning). It gives a better idea of the harmony vox that Smith clearly struggles with the live version. It's what makes the song.

THE 3RD BEST TANK IN THE GUILD AND THAT'S A FACT.

JOIN THE SUNFALL AFFILIATED DSAS STEAM GROUP AND GAME WITH TRIED AND TESTED. ALL SUNFALLERS INVITED http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DerekSmalls/

I live for f&cking smilies :D :) :( :o 8O :? 8) :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :| :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :wink: :wink: :roll: :mrgreen: =P~ :^o [-X [-o<