Decent laptop for under £400

The off-topic forum for discussions of anything not game-specific.
Osto

Decent laptop for under £400

Post by Osto » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:57 am

Is there any around?
My missus' laptop is about to head up to the big laptop in the sky so on the lookout for a decent replacement.
I dont know much about laptops specs...so any info would be invaluable.

I know for gaming you need to spend a forture for a "gaming" laptop, but all recommendations welcome.

Anything I should avoid, or something important I should ensure the laptop has...any info welcome :D

Cheers

invisus
Warcraft: invisus, maryamorevna, charites, weezle, YOUR MUM

Re: Decent laptop for under £400

Post by invisus » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:58 pm

I hate laptops, I find them crampt, hot and generally annoying.

What she needs depends very much on her usage, though you will be looking for the rather low end of the market for under £400, the equivilent in a desktop computer would be much better, I've generally found pre-built machines work out as £100+ extra simply for it being a laptop.

As with any computer, more RAM is likely the most noticable performance increase.

As its a laptop, you won't be able to change the screen or graphics card without changing the laptop itself, so these are things you'll want to make sure you're happy with at purchase. Sony have lovely screens, but are rather expensive. Generally laptops come with rather terrible built in graphics cards, so you'd want to do some research into the mobile alternatives for the higher end graphics card if shes going to wish to play any "real" games.

There are so many makes, I've not experience with them all and even the Compaq laptop I had from work about 8 years ago didn't seem that bad, especially as Compaq were generally considered rubbish.

Consider:
  • What is actually using it for
  • Size of screen
  • Will she be playing games
  • Do you need any fancy TV output options
  • Does she want a webcam
  • Do you want to be able to insert memory cards from cameras/phones
  • Does she want to do anything fancy with sound
Post up what she needs it for, if you've any in mind, I'm sure we can translate whatever needs translating.
I did not type the above, I neither know who did type it, or how it got there, but if there is any gold to be earn't from it I hereby declare that gold my own.

Mar

Post by Mar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:40 am

What she really wants is one of these

g3

Post by g3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Mar wrote:What she really wants is one of these
F*cking liberals. Instead of teaching them how to farm and manufacture items for commerce the f%cking do-gooders give their children free plastic lap tops to play tetris. If anyone doubted that the developed World wanted to destroy Africa and steal their resources once and for all here is the proof for all to see as a 'charity' under the auspices of claiming to be doing good actually lays the killing blow. Yes because Africans need Facebook more than food. Still Nestle have done a good job weaning the whole continent off breast milk and Monsanto has done a sterling job, while making a killing literally, selling one time only germinating seeds. Bravo.
THE 3RD BEST TANK IN THE GUILD AND THAT'S A FACT.

JOIN THE SUNFALL AFFILIATED DSAS STEAM GROUP AND GAME WITH TRIED AND TESTED. ALL SUNFALLERS INVITED http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DerekSmalls/

I live for f&cking smilies :D :) :( :o 8O :? 8) :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :| :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :wink: :wink: :roll: :mrgreen: =P~ :^o [-X [-o<