Ipad

The off-topic forum for discussions of anything not game-specific.
Maverix
Warcraft: Mavi / Mav

Ipad

Post by Maverix » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:29 pm

The apple tablet, not the womens sanitary towel........so whatcha think?
The Fate of So Many In The Hands of So Few

Hachiman
Warcraft: Not all casual people are bad, but all bad people like to think they are casual.

Re: Ipad

Post by Hachiman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:36 pm

I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams so why you sharing all this information with me

Maverix

Post by Maverix » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm

lol

Bankai
Warcraft: Bankai, Kebab, Nubkai

Post by Bankai » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:47 pm

This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

nerodine

Post by nerodine » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:02 pm

Nerodine

seffyroff

Post by seffyroff » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:28 pm

I'm disappointed. Their comparison in the presentation saying that Netbooks are no good was a poor comparison. The iPad has no multitasking, no USB interfaces, no real extensibility beyond what an iPod Touch has. Potential customers who already have an iPhone don't need this, and neither do Netbook or laptop owners.
STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT TRYING TO HUSTLE ANYONE OUT OF GUILD LEADERSHIP
Image "In this life you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
For years I was smart, I recommend pleasant.
Being smart can make you rich and bring respect and reverence,
But the rewards of being pleasant are far more incandescent."
--Elwood P. Dowd
Forum admins please fix the bbcode for tables so my sig works again :D

Maverix

Post by Maverix » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:30 am

seffyroff wrote:I'm disappointed. Their comparison in the presentation saying that Netbooks are no good was a poor comparison. The iPad has no multitasking, no USB interfaces, no real extensibility beyond what an iPod Touch has. Potential customers who already have an iPhone don't need this, and neither do Netbook or laptop owners.

im interested & still on the fence. things I like, but like you disappointed in the lack of functionality. USB interface being the big one, although you can im told get a ipod pin to usb/sd adapter for downloading photos from cameras, which is exactly what I wanted being a keen photographer.

I also, love my iphone but hate it for videos, having to convert the format, copy into itunes, and then sync to device. a process which ends up being time consuming & disc space/resource hogging. sucks that this will go the same way I just want to connect/drag & drop from my desktop like most pmp allow you to do.

Adifi
Warcraft: Grindae (MIA), Sintae (MIA)

Post by Adifi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:16 pm

If you have an iphone and a laptop/netbook... i just cant see what possible use you could have for this ipad ?

The thing should have been running osx, or at least a cut down version - i would have bought one then. But a massive ipod with no added functions seems a bit pointless.
Cry more and let loose the dogs of emo !

Maverix

Post by Maverix » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:32 pm

check out this slick bad boy https://thejoojoo.com/
!

theres plenty of other great devices, but what they cant unfortunately match is the great software/application support the Ipad will get.

MojoRein
Warcraft: Mojó, Bargo, Barbeque, Liéra

Post by MojoRein » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:35 pm

Never really been a fan of apple, but I do love my iPhone, that said this looks like a piss poor rival to a tablet PC, but looks pretty.

That said the origional iPhone was piss poor, but with tweeks they have made it a standard.

I love my netbook and do not think this compares, however where I do see a market for this is surfing / playing games whilst watching TV in the lounge, if I do get one of these (not sure) it will never leave my sofa, unlike my netbook which gets used all the time.

Maverix

Post by Maverix » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:28 am

I've never seen the point (or been interested in) netbook's, they are just a cheaper, smaller, less powerfull versions of laptops. theres nothing at all they do better. other then being more portable.
Take the ipad as an example. ( or some of the other tablets coming soon) and surfing the web with in portrait mode, with the screen on your hand has got to be a great surfing experience, just watch the video of new york times on the ipad and I can already see myself waking up and booting up the pad to digest the days new stories. Not to say you cant do that on the iphone, but the interface on the 10" screen is a whole new ballgame & a whole new experience. Its definatly something it does better, then say using your laptop,phone or netbook. And for similar reasons the calender as an organisor, look like running it on the ipad is the best way to consume them , greater then your desktop, netbook, macbook etc.

Kaerathas
Warcraft: Zalanth, Bledri, Kaerbear, Wischard
BattleTag: Zalanth#2795
WoW character race: Pandaren
WoW character class: Shaman
WoW character gender: Male
WoW character level: 110
WoW character guild: Sunfall

Post by Kaerathas » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:35 pm

The definitive video about iPad ...

Frejia

Post by Frejia » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:13 am

I have an iPhone and I am definitely getting the iPad.

I'm not sure how it works in other countries, but the newspaper I like to read in Sweden (Dagens Nyheter, www.dn.se) have an electronic subscription for 1/4th of the price compared to a paper-subscription. Furthermore, another newspaper called Aftonbladet (www.aftonbladet.se) can be downloaded in PDF format for £1.50/month.
So, I am getting the iPad and two newspaper subscriptions. This means I can read the paper wherever I am, and I finally don't have to deal with the massive amount papers lying everywhere.
I am going to give my iPhone to my girlfriend since I am getting a bit bored with it, and I'm going to get an Android-based phone instead.

So, iPad for doing all the fun stuff I currently do on my iPhone, get the benefit of being able to read the newspaper(s) and everything else that comes with a larger screen, and get an Android-based phone (HTC Tattoo) just to try something different. I can add that I currently have four laptops but I really hate reading newspapers on them, the screen just doesn't feel right.
Cancelled Accounts
Star Wars Galaxies
Star Wars Galaxies Emu
Lord of the Rings Online
Warhammer Online
EverQuest II
Chronicles of Spellborn
World of Warcraft
D&D Online
Fallen Earth

Maverix

Post by Maverix » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:45 pm

the video of the Ipad with new york times running on it was brilliant, and for newspapers I can definatly see how it will be a unique experience far greater then reading on a laptop/netbook or smartphone.