Metal One Hit Wonders!

The off-topic forum for discussions of anything not game-specific.
g3

Re: Metal One Hit Wonders!

Post by g3 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:38 pm

Nightrage - Melodic Death Metal. A sort of super group with awesome Gus G and Tomas Lindberg of At the Gates among others. Debut CD 'Sweet Vengence' circa '03 is just excellent. The vocals are just shockingly aggressive. The singer just has sand paper for a throat. No cookie monster cop out this is pure shout out. And the drummer is the guy from The Haunted and he just smacks the tubs. I play Nightrage a lot on the last train home. It just keeps you awake after a skinful. Also gives you a little edge in case you need to bop. TBH just buy all the Nightrage CDs.

Hero

Glow of the Setting Sun
THE 3RD BEST TANK IN THE GUILD AND THAT'S A FACT.

JOIN THE SUNFALL AFFILIATED DSAS STEAM GROUP AND GAME WITH TRIED AND TESTED. ALL SUNFALLERS INVITED http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DerekSmalls/

I live for f&cking smilies :D :) :( :o 8O :? 8) :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :| :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :wink: :wink: :roll: :mrgreen: =P~ :^o [-X [-o<

Ynnus
Warcraft: Ynnus, Solea

Post by Ynnus » Tue May 20, 2014 8:49 am

Prog-metal cheesecake for your ear buds: band is called Numbers and the song Undertow.

A refreshing mix of djent and electronic metal coloured with jazz. The voice is lovely even when it growls, which is pretty rare.
Here comes over 11 minutes of acoustic goodness that won't bore you:

Ynnus - sniffing smelly rogue, master of elixirs
Solea - blue squishy facemelter, master of dissing
Pepe - makes me die less

It's all in your head.

Sona
Warcraft: Sona

Post by Sona » Tue May 20, 2014 4:13 pm

Joey Jordinson's (he of ex-Slipknot and one of their main songwriters) new band, really enjoying this at the moment. Try these two as entry points (that's what she said etc etc)

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way you were told.

nerodine

Post by nerodine » Wed May 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Animals as Leaders. I'm still unsure what they are - an instrumental prog band with metal aspirations, perhaps - but either way, this track pleases me.

Nerodine

g3

Post by g3 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:45 pm

It's that special time. Yes a new Anathema CD is nearly upon us...

JOIN THE SUNFALL AFFILIATED DSAS STEAM GROUP AND GAME WITH TRIED AND TESTED. ALL SUNFALLERS INVITED http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DerekSmalls/

I live for f&cking smilies :D :) :( :o 8O :? 8) :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :| :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :wink: :wink: :roll: :mrgreen: =P~ :^o [-X [-o<

g3

Post by g3 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:33 pm

Devin Townsend's Casualties of Cool he funded via fnas on PledgeMusic. His mellow record. Absolutely brilliant.

Take a chil pill.

Forgive me

Moon - the song Tool and Pink Floyd wish they wrote

Ynnus

Post by Ynnus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:18 pm

More technical metal.

CHON

Animals As Leaders
Pepe - makes me die less

It's all in your head.

g3

Post by g3 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Love/Hate released a stunning debut back "Black out in the red room" in early '90s. LA Band on the strip. What seperated them from the rest of the hair bands was their music was heavy as f^ck live. Saw them a few times in the legendary Marquee.

Black out in the red room

Tumbleweed

Straightjacket - and the best opening line you'll hear.

She's an angel

And yeh I got the band to sign my Cd back in 1990.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1 ... oto%2c.jpg

g3

Post by g3 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:48 pm

It wouldn't be summer without Festival HQ pro-shot and pro-sound gigs leaking onto Youtube. Here's two you must watch. Be warned these pro shoots tend to get yoinked down by the copyright holder. Don't assume they'll be there forever.

Mastodon @Pinkpop. 48 mins. Really great set list that trawls from the earlier records. I forgot just how good songs like Crystal Skull, Naked Burn are. Divinations the opener is fantastic. Sound excellent. The only duffer is 'High Road' worringly from the new CD. The riff sounds awesome and then the vox start thus reminding what a shit song it is. That aside. 48 mins well spent.

Metallica ByRequest at RockAMRing. This is simply brilliant. 2 1/2 hours. Set the time aside and enjoy. Hetfield is charming, relaxed and awesome. Brilliant set list. This is a visual and aural joy. Don't miss it. Amazing gig

g3

Post by g3 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Metallica live at Glastonbury here http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/errnc8/live/cgfrbp @ 21:45GMT. Don't be late. Might need a proxy if you are a johnny foreigner

g3

Post by g3 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:34 pm

Here's a cracking hard rock band. Danish monsters Pretty Maids. These guys have a good 25 years history. They're like a Danish Saxon but their music is a bit more sophisticated, Euro melodic sound but still total hard rock, catchy chorus great powerful sound with syth where required. The singer is just brilliant in my view. The last CD 'The Motherland' is on constant play in gus' kitchen for when he is fulfilling the matrimonial duties. A band you probably never heard of , more known in Europe that write great hard rocks songs. That is all.

Mother of all lies

Wasted

Ultra catchy 'Nulear Boomerang" new song from recent greatest re-recorded hits

g3

Post by g3 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:46 pm

Thought recent entries had been lighter so went back to basics checked the cd collection for the heaviness...

Anacrusis. Welcome to 1990!

Silent Crime

Sona
Warcraft: Sona

Post by Sona » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Blackout in the Red Room! One of the greatest albums ever made as is Wasted in America, not a single duff track with Don't be afraid my favourite. Still on regular play in car.

Amazing solo too....
If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way you were told.

Ynnus

Post by Ynnus » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:09 am

Back to the now with some hot new July releases. First off, two groovy ambient progressive metal tracks. Progressive means soft this summer.

Outrun the Sunlight - Spirit

The Contortionist - Intuition

And back into the hard with this awesome technical death metal track. Don't let the growling and short-hair put you off, the music is very fresh!

Inanimate Existence - The Rune of Destruction

Cherry on top.

Zander Zon - Let It Go (Frost) cover
Pepe - makes me die less

It's all in your head.

g3

Post by g3 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Since it's teh summer of prog

Porcupine Tree "Arriving somewhere but not here"