Website donations

This is the place to put your ideas about what you want to see on the website
Spiritlevel
Warcraft: Spiritlevel, Mordant, Vybbro, Effite, Sanctimonius, Irrelevant

Website donations

Post by Spiritlevel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:42 pm

I've just noticed the new 'Donations' button at the bottom of the website.

I presume it's there as a gentle reminder that high quality websites cannot be sustained by fresh air and good will alone.

You might or might not want to suggest a figure for a personal donation.

If not, can you indicate how much it costs to feed the internet hamsters for a year?

(I just want to get a sense of whether you're looking for pounds, fivers, tenners or more (hopefully no monkeys though, cos I's skint guv'nor))

Thanks.

ps - you do a grand job, and I hope you know we appreciate it.
Aegrescit Medendo

nerodine

Re: Website donations

Post by nerodine » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Actually I was going to write up a small post on this subject, but work has kept from me it. However I've now managed to sneak five minutes breathing space, so that's quite nicely timed.

Whenever we have forum problems, there's a minority who have a quick grumble and want to know what the problem is and why haven't we fixed it immediately. However, without fail, we always have a greater number of people ask us if it's possible for them to help out in any way or contribute. Generally the answer is "cheers for the offer, but no" although the offer and sentiment is always appreciated. It did get me thinking what we could do though ...

There's no sponsorship on the site and it's all been paid for out of Cyl's pocket for over five years or more, despite the fact the lazy fellow hasn't actively played an MMO for any period of time for a good year or more. After a little prodding and cajoling I managed to get Cyl to put up a donation function so we're in a position to offer up a quid or two toward the hosting side ... or at least a contribution for his therapy bills ;) Considering there's a number of us who are terrible forum whores, it seemed only fair I get the opportunity to literally put my money where my mouth is.

There's no specifc amount on there for a couple of reasons, first and foremost it's not mandatory and we recognise that it's a hobby and by and large people don't expect to pay; in fact if we don't get someone complaining we've had the temerity to put a link up it would be a pleasant surprise. Secondly, we know there an awful lot of guildies who aren't in a position to donate something especially with the world economy up the creeky with no paddle, holes in the boat and hungry savages on the shoreline gnashing their teeth, and putting a value on it adds an unnecessary pressure to people which isn't fair. As a monetary figure, if every active member on the forum contributed a pound (sterling, not Imperial) we would be sorted for a few years at a guess.

TLDR version; anything donated is fantastic and wonderful. Cheers to Cyl for keeping things going and thanks to everyone for making the forums a community for over five years and still going!
Nerodine

seffyroff

Post by seffyroff » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:45 pm

They way I look at it, I don't get the chance often enough to buy Cyl a beer. Or several beers for that matter. If you think "Hey, this site's great, I'd like to buy Cyl beer to thank him" then you can donate the cost of a pint of Kronenbourg (or several) to the good fellow.

Additionally, you can buy him a beer in person on the 28th February at the Druid's Head in Kingston :)
STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT TRYING TO HUSTLE ANYONE OUT OF GUILD LEADERSHIP
Image "In this life you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
For years I was smart, I recommend pleasant.
Being smart can make you rich and bring respect and reverence,
But the rewards of being pleasant are far more incandescent."
--Elwood P. Dowd
Forum admins please fix the bbcode for tables so my sig works again :D

Spiritlevel
Warcraft: Spiritlevel, Mordant, Vybbro, Effite, Sanctimonius, Irrelevant

Post by Spiritlevel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:10 pm

Done.
Aegrescit Medendo

Silvex
Warcraft: Hammerhead, Firewire, Cromus, Silvex

Post by Silvex » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:25 pm

If I donate it goes directly to Cyl?

MojoRein
Warcraft: Mojó, Bargo, Barbeque, Liéra

Post by MojoRein » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:39 pm

So what sort of SLAs and Service Credits based on breaches of SLA can we discuss for my investment?

Aka, will do sommat when I have my wallet upstairs, that or b33r down't pub.

Bankai
Warcraft: Bankai, Kebab, Nubkai

Post by Bankai » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:41 pm

Have you ever considered relocation?

Im pretty sure I can whip up a virtual machine at work, as in a machine with 1 cpu, 512-1024MB ram, fixed IP, full access thru SSH, free bandwidth ( "normal" usage) not sure what this site can cram during peaks but i would guess "low" on a 24h average.
Its only the migration that could be tricky but im sure everything can be solved.
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Cylindric
Warcraft: Cylgar, Cylindric

Post by Cylindric » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:53 pm

Spiritlevel wrote:(I just want to get a sense of whether you're looking for pounds, fivers, tenners or more (hopefully no monkeys though, cos I's skint guv'nor))
It's not a huge amount, just a few pounds (and a couple of hours) a month to keep you muppets amused. Frankly, I'm expecting a cheque from The Rest Of The Internet any day now, in thanks for keeping you lot safely distracted here instead of roaming about freely on the web.
Spiritlevel wrote:Done
Awesome thanks, it's appreciated.
Silvex wrote:If I donate it goes directly to Cyl?
Yup, straight into my pocket - I made sure Kuriyama doesn't take a cut out first.
MojoRein wrote:So what sort of SLAs and Service Credits based on breaches of SLA can we discuss for my investment?
Same terms as your mum gives.
Bankai wrote:Have you ever considered relocation?
Thanks for the offer, the hosting isn't really a problem at the moment. Sunfall sits on an account I also use for some of my other domains, so the only administration is the stuff to do with the forums, addons, rosters, dkp, spam, upgrades, etc specific to Sunfall. Relocation wouldn't really help much.

If donations go above the cost of hosting, I'll distribute the remainder in an openly selfish, arbitrary and biased way between myself and any other officers I happen to be out drinking with at the time ;) And frankly, they deserve it more than me (but don't tell them, they're big-headed enough already)

Just for the curious, I occasionally post up a stats summary, and this seems as good a time as any...

For the month of January 2009, we served up a total of 69,141 pages during 11,561 visits, adding up to a shade under 5Gb of data.
That's an average of 372 visits a day (peaked at 443), where the liveliest time of day is about 12pm (9%).
We had 1,375 people follow links from Google UK, 114 from warhammeralliance.com and 142 from SOE signatures.

March 2008 was the busiest month in a while, with 12,647 visits.

For the sad and lonely, you can get the full low-down

Total topics: 18,860
Total forum posts: 209,579
Posts-per-day: 198.86

Most number of users on the forum at any one time was was 91 on Tue Jun 26, 2007.

Post-counts for the top four posters:

Post-counts for everyone:
Cylindric

Wolph42

Post by Wolph42 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:03 am

why for godsake paypal...
We are sorry, we are experiencing temporary difficulties. Please try again later. If this error occurred while making a payment, avoid duplicate payments by checking your Account Overview before resending a payment.
Message 4001
and its not the first time either...

I'll try again later on.
------
A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.

Wolph42

Post by Wolph42 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:09 am

k done,

Let it be a tasty beer!

And since you're now officially on my payroll :twisted:, could you plz read my pm I send you a while ago and take care of my request.

My thanks will as ever be eternal.

Keep up the good work.
------
A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.

OmerO
Warcraft: Drohmar, Ohmar, Furion, Ohmer, Omaro, Piam,

Post by OmerO » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:02 am

Wolph42 wrote: could you plz read my pm I send you a while ago and take care of my request.
No, you can not have a custom personal theme with your missus as a background image,...
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen. sidious:

Parmenion's actual postcount: 32

MojoRein
Warcraft: Mojó, Bargo, Barbeque, Liéra

Post by MojoRein » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:47 pm

OmerO wrote:
Wolph42 wrote: could you plz read my pm I send you a while ago and take care of my request.
No, you can not have a custom personal theme with your missus as a background image,...
Why not? the rest of us have acccess to it ;)

Betelgeuse
Warcraft: Petite, Betelgeuse

Post by Betelgeuse » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:07 pm

MojoRein wrote: Why not? the rest of us have acccess to it ;)
You only have Stormbeard printed on your bedsheets. AMIRAIT?
Ooking you in the dooker since 1977.

Betelgeuse - Bestest MoP tank
Petite - Bestest loothoover of MoP

Sun-Tzu

Post by Sun-Tzu » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Well I have seen the donations button and I want to donate but I am going to hold off till I know my job is safe. Admins can sneak around and read my circumstances as I've posted them elsewhere. I use the forum daily and have done pretty much since I joined SFR nearly 4 years ago and I even use it during my absences from SWG and indeed any other mmo. Big thanks to the admins for all they do to keep the site up as it is appreciated.
Former GL of SFR (SWG)

Kartofelkopf

Post by Kartofelkopf » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:11 pm

I'll be using the buy admins a drink option... an not panzy larger and ime for he southern softies either.