The New Themes Thread

This is the place to put your ideas about what you want to see on the website
seffyroff

Re: The New Themes Thread

Post by seffyroff » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:30 am

Slunter wrote:Please fix this soon so I can rid myself of that horrible WoW skin.
So much hate. Care to elaborate about what's wrong with the theme? Perhaps we can improve it so it's not horrible. I think it's much better than the old BLUE theme, but just wants a couple of tweaks. Just saying it's horrible isn't very helpful.
STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT TRYING TO HUSTLE ANYONE OUT OF GUILD LEADERSHIP
Image "In this life you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
For years I was smart, I recommend pleasant.
Being smart can make you rich and bring respect and reverence,
But the rewards of being pleasant are far more incandescent."
--Elwood P. Dowd
Forum admins please fix the bbcode for tables so my sig works again :D

Spiritlevel
Warcraft: Spiritlevel, Mordant, Vybbro, Effite, Sanctimonius, Irrelevant

Post by Spiritlevel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:33 am

The new themes are very pretty, though sometimes still a bit cluttered visually - a little work needs to be done to put text over clear space to improve legibnility.

I must confess though that I quite liked the plain skin, since it looks less non-work related when I'm reading it at the office than something with a bold and blatant fantasy theme.
Aegrescit Medendo

Cylindric
Warcraft: Cylgar, Cylindric

Post by Cylindric » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:21 am

Slunter wrote:It may very well work for the root index page but the override doesn't carry down to the sub forums, i.e. WoW.
Please fix this soon so I can rid myself of that horrible WoW skin.
Yes it does.

And they will be toned down somewhat too, for those of us that may spend a moment or two during the day looking at them ;)
Turning off sigs and avatars goes a long way to make them more office-discreet too.
Cylindric

Hachiman
Warcraft: Not all casual people are bad, but all bad people like to think they are casual.

Post by Hachiman » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:52 am

seffyroff wrote:
Slunter wrote:Please fix this soon so I can rid myself of that horrible WoW skin.
So much hate. Care to elaborate about what's wrong with the theme? Perhaps we can improve it so it's not horrible. I think it's much better than the old BLUE theme, but just wants a couple of tweaks. Just saying it's horrible isn't very helpful.
What forum have you been in lately that changes theme based on what section you are in? The themes are also a little too "geocities" :(
Spiritlevel wrote: I must confess though that I quite liked the plain skin, since it looks less non-work related when I'm reading it at the office than something with a bold and blatant fantasy theme.
Haha, too true and the main reason to keep the old theme :lol:

Also that fix doesnt work for me cyl :(
Last edited by Hachiman on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Slunter
Warcraft: Slunter, Ahriest, Stoneless, Stabbers

Post by Slunter » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:17 pm

Cylindric wrote:Yes it does.
Well it doesn't work for me...

The reason I find it to horrible is that it is far to dark, cluttered and visually disturbing with underlying graphics and buttons in all the wrong places.
Was the old one not working since it had to be changed...?
I was particular fond of the old one since it was a no-frills forum which was easy and pleasant to navigate.

Oh, and did I mention that I hate the new one...?? :lol:
ImageImage

washproof

Post by washproof » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:32 am

or
tbh

Cylindric

Post by Cylindric » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Slunter wrote:
Cylindric wrote:Yes it does.
Well it doesn't work for me...
To clarify, if you use the URL's provided above, you still see the new themes?
Odd, it worked when I tested it. It is a bit of hack, so might not work everywhere, but titter-ye-not, I am in the process of modding the forums a bit so that the option you set in the prefs will override all styles, not just the default one. (Don't panic, because I browse mostly from work too I have personal motivation to fix it up :D)
Cylindric

nerodine

Post by nerodine » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:17 am

Also don't forget to do a cache refresh in your browser, as I've noticed both FF and IE are a nightmare for correctly loading in new versions of CSS after updates. New themes look awesome Cyl, cheers to you and the lads for the hard work!
Nerodine

washproof

Post by washproof » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:10 am

cylindric, can we have this one as our forum header pls in the swg section :) its the same size as the jedi knights place holder we have atm, as its inline with our established "look" for sig's & posters etc

Seven of Six "Seven@Washprooof" U.S.S. CHIMAERA NX-91979-E

Cylindric

Post by Cylindric » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:34 am

Awesome! Can't praise the initiative highly enough :D Already installed. Let's hope it encourages others ;)
Cylindric

washproof

Post by washproof » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:38 am

Cylindric wrote:Awesome! Can't praise the initiative highly enough :D Already installed. Let's hope it encourages others ;)
OoH! looks super! thx :D
Seven of Six "Seven@Washprooof" U.S.S. CHIMAERA NX-91979-E

whybe
Warcraft: Whybe, Marije, Tjeerd, Illuminata, Drapeta, Sanctabella, Kiran, Aukje, Pentacle

Post by whybe » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Wow Cyl, you have surpassed yourself once more :D

For a second after clicking on the WOW private Discussion i though: HA we have finally taken over the official boards :)

:thumbright:

g3

Post by g3 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:53 pm

The War one is rubbish. Can we have one like this please but with smaller fonts and a few more colours.

http://www.giamas.net/modules.php?name=Application
THE 3RD BEST TANK IN THE GUILD AND THAT'S A FACT.

JOIN THE SUNFALL AFFILIATED DSAS STEAM GROUP AND GAME WITH TRIED AND TESTED. ALL SUNFALLERS INVITED http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DerekSmalls/

I live for f&cking smilies :D :) :( :o 8O :? 8) :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :| :arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :wink: :wink: :roll: :mrgreen: =P~ :^o [-X [-o<

Ynnus
Warcraft: Ynnus, Solea

Post by Ynnus » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:12 am

seffyroff wrote:
It's horrible horrible horrible. Helpful, ha? :D

1. white text on black background is too contrasted and hard to read. Make background even lighter (even now it's not really black for the reason stated) or even better, get back to dark text on light background - we are here to read (have you ever seen a book with inversed colours? Oo)
2. new post marker (the thing that is orange on new posts and white on old) is too small and because of the contrast with black, its hard to see the colour and where new posts start in thread. Make it larger or take different colours (dark colour for old posts, light for new) or make it differ in shape not colour

I'll probably come up with more complaints now that I found this thread. Looking forward to it and I bet all you admins are delighted and thrilled too. :mrgreen:
Ynnus - sniffing smelly rogue, master of elixirs
Solea - blue squishy facemelter, master of dissing
Pepe - makes me die less

It's all in your head.

Hachiman
Warcraft: Not all casual people are bad, but all bad people like to think they are casual.

Post by Hachiman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:29 am

Would it be possible to use the old system but have the new skins as a skin option?