Starting tips for play

This is a public discussion area for all forum users interested in Star Wars: The Old Republic.
Betelgeuse
Warcraft: Petite, Betelgeuse

Starting tips for play

Post by Betelgeuse » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:24 pm

From my beta weekend, I discovered a few things that one might miss when one starts to play for the first time, but would be handy to know.

If anyone has any more, please post away!

- Subtitles can be turned on in preferences. It's not automatically on. It can be handy for city based interactions.
- Turn on 'Loot all' on right mouseclick. It's in the preferences tab as well.
- If you are near a group of vendors, it is *highly* likely there will be a 'hearthstone' (or whatever its name was in SWtor) there as well. Look for it, as they are not easily spotted.
- 'Discover' the first republic taxi point on any zone as well. even though you start next to it, it won't be on your travel map yet.
- Commendations can more often than not 'farmed' in zones. So for quest rewards, don't be afraid to choose the other reward option if given.
- Mounts will be buyable at lvl 25.
- You roughly get your spaceship around lvl 15/16 along the main quest line. Don't waste time running around for the vendor, there isn't one. Only Spaceship upgrades van be bought from vendors.
- After choosing your Advanced Class, there will be an extra tab at your class trainer screen with more purchasable abilities. Don't forget to check this tab upon leveling or you miss on quite some nifty skills.
- Don't forget to send your companions on craft missions as you do your run back / fed ex quest returns. Since they can only do one itemcraft or material run at a time, it can be quite timeconsuming. And no, you cannot stack or queue craft orders.
- The first space station you encounter has all the markets and vendors and trainers you need. But each zone has a trainer too. Finding that one is faster than flying back to the space station every level.
- Don't worry about credits for buying stuff. At lvl 10 I already had about 7k ish. So spend it if you have it!
- Equipping your companion is done by going to character screen, then going to the companion tab, and then dragging gear on him that he can wear. There is no other way.

Lots of these pointers I had to find out the hard way, haha.
Ooking you in the dooker since 1977.

Betelgeuse - Bestest MoP tank
Petite - Bestest loothoover of MoP

OmerO
Warcraft: Drohmar, Ohmar, Furion, Ohmer, Omaro, Piam,

Re: Starting tips for play

Post by OmerO » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Betelgeuse wrote: - Turn on 'Loot all' on right mouseclick. It's in the preferences tab as well.
As you didn't specifically mention it, I'm conveniently going to assume that -you- of all people missed the option (another tickbox in the preferences) to enable AoE looting ^^
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen. sidious:

Parmenion's actual postcount: 32

Cylindric
Warcraft: Cylgar, Cylindric

Post by Cylindric » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Betelgeuse wrote:- Don't forget to send your companions on craft missions as you do your run back / fed ex quest returns. Since they can only do one itemcraft or material run at a time, it can be quite timeconsuming. And no, you cannot stack or queue craft orders.
Once a noob, always a noob, I see. You can't stack the missions to get items, but I could certainly stack craft orders. My little droid could make 5 items at a time. Of course he's in the same hidden acid-pit of eternal damnation as my Jedi now...
Cylindric

Rubix Cube
Warcraft: Rubix, Sanctimus

Post by Rubix Cube » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:53 pm

Betelgeuse wrote:- Equipping your companion is done by going to character screen, then going to the companion tab, and then dragging gear on him that he can wear. There is no other way.
If you have your companions tab open then you can equip their gear by right clicking. Unfortunately you don't get the comparison tooltip for them yet.

seffyroff

Post by seffyroff » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:04 pm

Helpfulgoose wrote: - Mounts will be buyable at lvl 25.
You also get sprint at level 15, which is an always-on move 50% faster travel power with no cooldown or duration :).
Helpfulgoose wrote: - You roughly get your spaceship around lvl 15/16 along the main quest line. Don't waste time running around for the vendor, there isn't one. Only Spaceship upgrades van be bought from vendors.
I think you get it at the end of the Coruscant class questline, which at level 16 I hadn't quite finished, but you may do if you skip all the sidequests and heroics.
Helpfulgoose wrote: - Don't worry about credits for buying stuff. At lvl 10 I already had about 7k ish. So spend it if you have it!
A quick glance at the mount vendor made me think I should hold onto some credits, a cheap mount was 25,000 credits.
STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT TRYING TO HUSTLE ANYONE OUT OF GUILD LEADERSHIP
Image "In this life you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
For years I was smart, I recommend pleasant.
Being smart can make you rich and bring respect and reverence,
But the rewards of being pleasant are far more incandescent."
--Elwood P. Dowd
Forum admins please fix the bbcode for tables so my sig works again :D

Spiritlevel
Warcraft: Spiritlevel, Mordant, Vybbro, Effite, Sanctimonius, Irrelevant

Post by Spiritlevel » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:10 am

Useful little guide here on TORhead (which seems to be WOWhead's SWTOR franchise)

http://www.torhead.com/guides/swtor-for-the-wow-player
Aegrescit Medendo