New Life Into An Old Topic

This category is for the use of any and all past and present members of UKRM, SFR, Sunfall, RRF, or any other incarnations of our guild. Basically open to anyone, but with the intention of being used by people a connection to Sunfall.
Cylindric
Warcraft: Cylgar, Cylindric

New Life Into An Old Topic

Post by Cylindric » Wed May 03, 2006 4:46 pm

Okay folks, this is the Category Once Known As Sunfall Residents.

In light of some of the changes having taken place, both recently and historically, I have changed this section a little.

This section was once "Sunfall Residents", and was a place for people that live in the town of Sunfall, on the Chimaera servers of SWG, to hang out.

A lot of us have moved on since the days of UKRM on Wanderhome (that even pre-dates me!) but I thought it might be nice to be reminded of our common roots.

This category is now open to all visitors to the forums, and it's intention is to cater for anyone who is now, or has ever been, affiliated with UKRM, SFR, Sunfall, or any other incarnation of our Most Excellent guild. I might even let RRF people post here, if they promise to be nice...

We have changed, we have evolved. Some have moved on to pastures new, others have stuck with the game they know. Despite any changes of opinion, or diversification of ideals we are, at heart, one guild.

Let us not forget that, above all else, we are a family out to have fun.

Cylindric
Once a lonely Doctor on Tatooine
Once a Councillor of a guild called UKRM
Once a Registrar at a wedding in Theed
Proud Officer of a guild called Sunfall
Cylindric

OmerO
Warcraft: Drohmar, Ohmar, Furion, Ohmer, Omaro, Piam,

Post by OmerO » Wed May 03, 2006 4:53 pm

Teh mental traffic-jam has cleared up a bit? 8O

Well spoken, oh Bald One :D
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen. sidious:

Parmenion's actual postcount: 32

Avem
Warcraft: Avem, Evam

Post by Avem » Wed May 03, 2006 5:28 pm

/wipes tear from my eye

Itachi
Warcraft: Itachi, Telren, Tetsuonna, Bodger

Post by Itachi » Wed May 03, 2006 11:16 pm

I'd like to know the roots of sunfall tbh. I

've had a great time here in the last few months and it'd be great to get like a "tale of sunfall" because it obviously goes way back and not a lot of us know where and what it comes from but there's obviously the motherload of history behind it.

So tell, I got here late, traffic was terrible.

Cylindric

Post by Cylindric » Wed May 03, 2006 11:56 pm

Some of this will need filling out by other people, as I was not around since the very start, and my memory is getting dim about some of this stuff. Maybe once it's been pulled together, I will format it as a True History of Sunfall and put it up here somewhere...

Someone please help me fill in some dates! I have also not put many names throughout, because I'm not sure who was prominent when, so also need assistance in nailing that down.

*toodley toodley toodley misty wavey warp back in time*

The United Kingdom Rebellion Movement was founded in Star Wars Galaxies by Darkbolt (Atlan) on the Wanderhome server, along with Gorecki (Riggwelter). At this time, the Council consisted of Darkbolt, Gorecki, Iveo, Merina, and Saito.
This was before European Release, so when SOE announced EU servers, the UKRM was relocated to Chimaera, and set up camp on Tatooine.
There it thrived and thrived, becoming one of the most well-known and well-respected PA's on Chimaera.
Eventually, things changed, leaders changed, and we ended up with many more non-UK members. Atlan moved on, and it was decided to change the name to the "Sunfall Rebels" to make our non-UK members feel more at home.
Eventually WoW reared it's head, and a bunch of us came over to set up shop here. A fair number of us made it into the EU beta program, and so that we didn't spoil the surprises of release, we decided to be Horde for Beta, and Alliance for Live. For a couple of months we were a Horde guild!

*toodley toodley toodley misty wavey warp back to current time*

It's 1am, and I have work in the morning, so I'll let someone else fill in some more details, both during the above period, and covering our more recent history.

There was a tradition in SWG for people to post a lengthy story about themeselves, either RL or RP, and this was posted by Darkbolt/Atlan back in July 2004...
Darkbolt wrote:Having been a high ranking member of a reputable guild in Asheron’s Call for 3 years, I knew the importance of being in the right guild in this type of game. While playing in the beta version of the game I had never even considered starting a guild. Even when my copy of SWG arrived by UPS, and I installed the proper game in full I had not considered starting a guild.

After starting my character ‘Darkbolt’ (a name carried over from my Asheron’s Call days), on Eclipse server I decided to look for a guild to join, I looked at a few websites and nothing really stuck. So I kind of took a gamble, and just joined one that I sort of liked the look of. Now for some shocking information… It was called the Imperial Omega Guild <IOG>. I maybe played for 3 or 4 days while in this guild, there was very little interaction, and no looking after each other. In truth I wasn’t comfortable with it all. My priority was more finding the right guild than the right faction. So joining IOG I sacrificed my true calling of the rebellion. When things weren’t working out and after some very serious lag issues on Chimaera, a new server opened up about a week later called Wanderhome. I started a new Character on Wanderhome – also called Darkbolt. I focused more on my character than looking for a guild at first, and after a further week playing on Wanderhome, I decided at that point to attempt to recreate the feeling of my old Asheron’s Call guild. A guild where people looked after each other, a guild where everyone got along (mostly:P), a guild that were well known on their server and held a lot of respect.

But I needed a name. I sat down and thought about it – for about 15 minutes I was just thinking, then I would put pet to paper and write down maybe half a dozen names, the first name I came up with was United Kingdom Rebellion Movement <UKRM>, then others such as Rebel Alliance Guild <RAG>, Guild of Rebels <GOR>, English Rebel Alliance <ERA>, and Rebels of UK <ROUK>. After some more thinking, I stuck with my gut instinct and decided upon the first name that came to my head. The UK Rebellion Movement was formed.

I knew that one of the main reasons behind the success of my previous AC guild was that of having a website and forums. It helped communication a great deal – even when not in the game, you could socialize to a certain degree with your guildmates and create stronger bonds, share stories, tips, help and advice. So after searching many hosting sites I finally found a suitable one (that was free), that would do. After setting it up and creating some initial graphical logos (which were poor), I was finally setup. However a guild is not a guild when there is only one person, and I needed recruits. Being an Artisan back at server start had it’s advantages, there were no harvesters, and you had to manually mine a chosen resource. And while mining some steel in coronet I met my first recruit, his name was subverso, we got chatting and I was telling him about my guild and he decided to join. Great stuff I thought. In the coming days a few more joined… Redwood, Iveo, Saito, Saidin, Pongo. I remember one person, Saito, I was doing a tour of many ‘death’ planets for a exploration section with photo’s on my website, when I came Saito, at the Mining outpost on Dantooine, after traveling on foot from the Pirate Outpost (without buffs/armour and just carrying a CDEF), he was having some real life problems and wanted the advice of ‘a complete stranger’, so for the next FOUR hours we were just sat there talking. We struck up quite a good friendship then and I told him about UKRM, he would think about it and later he decided to join.

After another week I was not too active on the Community forums but checked them often enough to see I had a new message, from someone called ‘Cardboardbox’??? Asking about the UKRM.

I bumped into this feller a short while later on a mission out of Anchorhead, and was Instantly impressed with his utter professionalism, dedication, and knowledge of tactics and strategy. His name at that time was Gorecki, many of you know him as Riggwelter. Between then and our acquiring of a Guild Hall me and Gorecki saw eye to eye on many things, and shortly after the placement of the guild hall and a further influx of new members I decided that a ‘High Council’ would probably be a good thing to set up. Gorecki was my number one choice for a position in this council, and in addition 3 other members would be included – those members that had helped the most in the guild, and those that I felt were the most loyal. So the first High Council was created with the following members: Gorecki, Iveo, Merina, and Saito. Our PA hall was located about 1000m West of Anchorhead.

Over time the guild grew and so did our activities, we organized hunts and events, created a Military Operations department which was a resounding success led by Gorecki. We had a couple of knobs that joined the guild and they didn’t last too long, especially when we heard about the upcoming Player Cities patch and decided to move to a more central but remote location – Center of Corellia, near Nyax’s place. It was a great planet for traveling around the galaxy, and a remote location that ensured we wouldn’t overlap with any other cities nearby. However there was one unfortunate payoff – between then and the Player city patch we had a 4000m run between the guild hall and the closest city of Coronet, and remember at that time there were no vehicles or mounts in the game.

Not long after that we had our first ‘incident’, one member post something ‘controversial’ on the forums basically taking the piss out of this imperial guild leader, it was on one hand hilarious, but on the other something that caused a bit of backlash towards that person, and I was worried it would affect our reputation as a guild. I was good friends with this chap, and I completely understood why he did it, fortunately after we moved to corellia he hadn’t rejoined (in game) the guild, and so had no tag on for a while, he then decided to level up a bit touring a few far flung planets, which was good for us and I didn’t have to post anything or get involved in the flame war that took place on the forums. It was settled fairly quickly though and our member admitted they were wrong to post it. It was nothing really compared to the controversy and flame war that would take place a few months later…

Before the opportunity arrived for us to set up a city on Corellia, another announcement came our way from SOE… European servers! It was always intended but never announced that I would play on the European servers, the same was true of Gorecki, who at the time was more or less helping run the guild. We spoke on the phone about the possible implications and felt that we needed to make an immediate statement on the issue, as we wanted to avoid rumour and speculation and misleading presumptions within the guild. Within 12 hours of SOE’s Announcement, I made an announcement that UKRM will be moving to the European Servers. Players that wished to come with us were welcome, and players that stayed behind wouldn’t be forgotten, and we would make sure they had everything they needed to carry on playing as a community. For the weeks that followed many of the players that were coming with us were working hard, out of the game planning our arrival on the European scene. I set up our own domain name and a new improved website, I also set up a fancy new forum with more bells and whistles to shake a stick at, unfortunately there was a little gap in the forum security that would fuel a war of words a few weeks later.

I was surprised by the numbers that were coming with us to the European servers, it was a mark of our success that so many would rather put the guild before their own characters progress. This was especially true of our American contingent that came with us. However not all were impressed with this decision, I remember one member Silvayn who at first glance seemed up for the move, but later we had a big big argument on the forums where we both lost our heads a little – I could understand Silvayn’s frustration especially since he had worked so hard to acquire a base for us. But in the end we both made up, and only a few months ago posted on the forums a great praise for us having played Final Fantasy 11 for sometime where no guild there was a match for us.

During the build up to the European release more and more information was coming our way about player cities. This was one thing that I was passionate about, I wanted a city as a focal point for the guild, something that would last through the ages. After a chat with Gorecki, he agreed to be the Cities inaugural Mayor. Much planning was underway as to how we wanted the city, what kind of city it would be, how it would be laid out, the name of the city, the services it would employ, etc etc etc.

I realized that I was probably not alone in having this passion and did a search for other websites that also shared this passion. It was at this point that I stumbled upon another guild’s website that were very organized and prepared for this upcoming expansion. I read with interest what their plans were and what locations were discussed for the placement of their city. All their planning was sound and solid. It was at this point that my passion carried me into dangerous waters, when I was so impressed with their logic, I started to apply some of it to our own plans. There location was near the Krayt graveyard in Northern Tatooine, and having visited the area in game, I wanted the same spot. I also discovered that they were planning to move to the European Servers. Not wanting to make any enemies I decided there and then that should we both be on the same server, the UKRM city would be at the Alternate spot in Southern Tatooine. A vote was called that should we be on different servers which spot would be chosen. By a small margin the ‘Waynear’ spot was picked, a spot half way between Bestine and Wayfar. About the place where New Hamburg is now.

However during this time of discovery from other sources, the leaders from this other guild had discovered my interest, and were monitoring us closely – for very obvious reasons, they had put many hours of work into their planning and did not want to face competition from another guild for the same spot, especially when we employed many of the tactics used by this other guild. Unfortunately at that time, they noticed a gap in our forum security and was reading all our High Council and Members area posts – without our knowledge.

Anyway, we decided what server we would go to before SOE even announced which servers they were releasing. We decided that we will start on the European Server which name was closest to the beginning of the Alphabet. The main reason for this was seeing the Wanderhome Server go down at noon everyday and be one of the last to come back up because it seemed that SOE brought the servers up more or less alphabetically at that time.

One other thing was wanted to change when I started on the European Servers was my name, having used the name Darkbolt for many years, I felt a more ‘real’ name and identity would have been appropriate especially as I was a little bit of a roleplayer at heart. I wanted something simple, easy to type and easy to remember. Again, much thought went into this and many names went down on a piece of paper and a shortlist was built. One name in particular was very close to being picked, the name ‘Neo’, but ultimately decided against it as it went against the reasons I had wanted to change my name in the first place. On the morning the European Servers went live I had 4 names on my list, it was only on the character creation screen that the name Cid Leon was decided. I had also decided to be human after being a wookiee for so long with Darkbolt, this was because of the variety of professions I would ultimately want to try over time with my new character and did not want to be handicapped in any one area.

The guild got off to a flying start on Chimaera once it went live, and we met many many wonderful people that later joined the guild. One thing we did was to set up a UKRM chat channel, so the whole community could converse together just like guild chat – it was a very good way to get to know people that would ultimately join the guild. Many different people heard about UKRM through many different channels, and soon we had quite a following – and this was even before we had an official guild tag or a city to call our home. UKRM was named PA of the Week by SWG Warcry and I had an exclusive interview with their reporter giving our guild a big up to the warcry readers.
On top of that the date for the Player cities/Mounts publish was announced and we were ready. Everything was going to plan and the guild was on a high.

We encountered our first problem when we tried to place the City Hall at our Chosen spot, but was told we couldn’t because New Hamburg were too close. So we moved a little to the north and we were then successful. We were one of a few cities that were created on that day, and I think it shows great testament to the city that even now it’s still going strong. The one thing many won’t know is that we had not properly decided on a City name at the time of placing. Many suggestions had been made and it was looking more and more likely that the name ‘Mos Side’ was going to be chosen. With the name being a democratic decision, it came as a little surprise and also resistance when our Mayor Riggwelter (gorecki), plucked the name ‘Sunfall’ out of midair and added it to the vote when the vote was half way underway. We spoke about it and I was 100% behind the name, thinking it held a lot more weight that the previous favorite Mos Side. I’m not remembering correctly but I think Sunfall won the vote, and both I and Riggwelter were prepared to make an Executive decision should Sunfall didn’t win (in other words – it had to:P).

It was my Wedding Anniversary and I was having a great time enjoying it with my wife when I came home and quickly logged on for a few minutes to check my messages before bed. I got a tell from one of my members advising I check out the forums ASAP. I did this and to my complete Shock and Horror I noticed that the leader of this other city guild (which had now established their city on Farstar), had made a post critising us for our ‘grief’ towards them, not only that, but they had also decided to post it on both Chimaera and Farstar Official forums too. What ensued was a big flame war on all fronts between the guilds. In the end both myself and their guild leader held our hands up and admitted we had both made some mistakes in our judgments and it ended the war a few days later. It completely ruined my Wedding Anniversary – but I will say one thing – it was certainly memorable. Also it was a low point in my career as guild leader, but one point shone through – our members, I was once against surprised and honored to see a lot of our members sticking by the guild in this low point, fighting it’s cause with dignity and honor.

Much of what has happened in the guild following that point has made the guild stronger and stronger, the people involved, the dedication behind our members actions and attitudes, and the general feeling has made the guild one of the best on the server.
Much of what had happened after that point has been written much better than I could hope to write by the likes of the silver tongued devils such as Kanubis and Maverix. I would like to go on and mention more name, but in truth there really are far too many to mention, I will mention a few names however that I for one would like to extend special thanks to, don’t worry if your name is not mentioned here, as I said there really are far too many to mention. Special Thanks go to Riggwelter, Kanubis, Maverix, Euk, Cylindric, Xan, Aurra, Oobiaa, Zeke, Robert, Varan, Dribrom, and Elora.

There had been highs and lows throughout the history of the guild, and the thing that made me move aside as leader and take a break from the guild for a while was a combination of guild pressures at that time coupled with some real life problems that restricted my time to effectively lead the guild forward. I made a statement more in depth that I intend to portray here about my reasons for stepping down which can be found in the past achieves of these very forums.

Now I am back as a regular member in this prestigious guild and I am happy to carry on helping and assisting others where I can, and look forward to the future of Star Wars Galaxies in great company.

/Salute to you all.

Darkbolt / Cid Leon / Atlan Dunn / Nevoss Dapa / Coupas Gakashuin.
Cylindric

Cobraz

Post by Cobraz » Thu May 04, 2006 9:48 am

Just head into the historys section...plenty there about our grass roots and stuff...... 8)
RIP SWG NOV 2003 - APRIL 2006
SFR - Retired Guild Leader
GoDfather of Sunfall.

MojoRein
Warcraft: Mojó, Bargo, Barbeque, Liéra

Post by MojoRein » Thu May 04, 2006 10:56 am

TBH I would say the Historys belongs in here. (Told you so told you so) I suggested a single "Sunfall Historys" section months back :P

Those stories belong in here I would say :)

OmerO
Warcraft: Drohmar, Ohmar, Furion, Ohmer, Omaro, Piam,

Post by OmerO » Thu May 04, 2006 11:39 am

Cobraz wrote:Just head into the historys section...plenty there about our grass roots and stuff...... 8)
Can't at the moment, but I'm convinced Cyl is about to moved/change access-rights on that bit of forum 8)
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen. sidious:

Parmenion's actual postcount: 32

riggwelter
Warcraft: Tangle, Riggwelter, Keats

Post by riggwelter » Thu May 04, 2006 11:58 am

Hi all - nice to read the old history - brings back all my fond memories of SWG and Sunfall - what an excellent time that was and I loved the city so much (and yes it was by far the best city on the server).

/Salute to you all (old timers and new timers all).
Tangle - Shadow Priest
Keats - Death Knight

Cylindric

Post by Cylindric » Thu May 04, 2006 12:17 pm

All your fault, dude!
Cylindric

whybe
Warcraft: Whybe, Marije, Tjeerd, Illuminata, Drapeta, Sanctabella, Kiran, Aukje, Pentacle

Post by whybe » Thu May 04, 2006 1:49 pm

i dont have the special access either 8)

But i am sur my memory isnt as bad as Cyl's yet :lol:

Death_Armada

Post by Death_Armada » Fri May 05, 2006 12:20 am

oh the old days
when we would go hunting outside sunfall or the first time hunting on dath with all the death within the groups
lost alot of my friends i started the game with but i'm still here

Maverix
Warcraft: Mavi / Mav

Post by Maverix » Fri May 05, 2006 5:36 pm

8)
The Fate of So Many In The Hands of So Few

Kanubis
Warcraft: Kanubis, Khaill, Khyal, Kaia, Koraban, Maian

Post by Kanubis » Thu May 11, 2006 10:56 pm

Good to see this section :)

My sig is borked and I cba to fix it.

Geran

Post by Geran » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:40 am

aww kinda miss the old town of sunfall :)
Geran - Hunter of Asylum